Frequently Asked Questions
How does Onavo Extend work?
Onavo Extend creates a VPN connection which compresses your downloaded traffic (HTTP) via our content delivery network.
For Onavo Extend to work properly, you’ll need to:
1. Download the Onavo Extend app from Google Play
2. Open the app and follow the setup wizard (one-time process)
Please note that although Onavo Extend creates a VPN connection, it does not change encryption status on your device.
Why should I use Onavo Extend?
Whether your data plan is capped, metered, unlimited or you're afraid of being throttled, there is no reason why you shouldn't extend your data plan with Onavo Extend. Onavo Extend makes it easy to do more with your Android 4.0 smartphone (and ICS powered tablet). At home you can extend your existing data plan, or even choose a smaller plan. Abroad you can avoid data overage fees and save money on data roaming charges.
Does Onavo Extend shrink data I send, receive or both?
Onavo Extend compresses downloaded data (received) to your Android device and does not compress data you send, such as photos or videos you upload. Please note that your operator's data usage accounting may differ from ours.
The key icon disappeared, why?
The key icon on the notification bar appears whenever the VPN connection is active, and compression is taking place. There are several reasons for the icon to disappear:
1. When your device is connected over WiFi, our service is paused. Once you resume 3G coverage, the key icon will re-appear.
2. When tethering or using your device as a personal hotspot
3. When 3G network is turned off, i.e Airplane Mode
4. After a restart. You'll need to start compression again (see next question)
How can I start compression?
If you’re on a 3G network and you don’t have the key icon on the notification bar, it means compression is disabled (off). To start compression again:
1. Open Onavo Extend app
2. Tap ‘Approve’, a popup will appear
3. Check the box ‘I trust this application’, then tap ‘OK’
4. Compression is enabled, key icon will appear
How can I stop compression?
The VPN connection enables our service to compress your data. To stop compression:
1. Tap the notification bar
2. Tap ‘VPN is activated’ message, a popup will appear
3. Select ‘Disconnect’, key icon will disappear
There are two new icons on my notification bar, a key and a plane - how can I remove them?
The key is a system icon of Android representing the active VPN connection Onavo Extend created and cannot be removed. Once you disable the VPN connection, that icon will disappear. The small plane icon is to help our service monitor data usage more accurately, but it can be removed via the app settings.
What about privacy?
Does Onavo Extend also compress streaming media apps, tethered data or VoIP apps?
No. Onavo Extend only works on downloaded HTTP traffic over cellular networks at this stage and does not compress or affect your voice calls, VoIP services such as Skype/Viber, tethering data or using your device as a personal hotspot.
How do I uninstall Onavo Extend?
Onavo Extend can be easily uninstalled just like any other app on your Android device.
In case you do decide to uninstall us, we would like to hear why - please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I contact you?